- NYS Police Reform and Reinvention
NYS Police Reform and Reinvention
Town of Mamaroneck Police Department SURVEY PAGE:
On June 12, 2020 Governor Cuomo signed Executive Order 203, New York State Police Reform and Reinvention Collaborative, which requires every Police department to develop a reform plan, through a collaborative process, which must be submitted to the State by April 1, 2021.
The collaborative process to develop the reform will:
- Review the needs of the community served by the Police department and evaluate the department's current policies and practices;
- Establish policies that allow police to effectively and safely perform their duties;
- Involve the entire community in the discussion;
- Develop policy recommendations resulting from this review;
- Offer a plan for public comment;
- Present the reform plan to the local legislative body to adopt it, and;
- Certify adoption of the reform plan to the State Budget Director on or before April 1, 2021.
The Racial Equity Task Force (Task Force) is performing a review of current procedures and practices in the Town’s Police Department and identifying racial equity issues. The Town Administrator and Police Chief have provided a package of information that includes details on Town Police operations, as well as current rules, regulations and protocols. You may view it by clicking here.
The Task Force will meet regularly throughout December, January and February and will hold public input sessions, via zoom, on Thursday, December 17, 2020 and the date for the second session is to be determined, please check back for updates. Details will be posted on the respective agenda, which can be found here.